Saturday, August 23, 2008

Doctor in the Family!

For any who have not yet heard, you may now refer to Toni as Doctor Smith. After a gruelling defense (see sidebar below) on June 30, (which I was able to attend) she was awarded her Doctoral degree in Math Education from the University of Maryland.

She has accepted a position at Montclair State University in Rutherford, NJ. which starts in September.

Sidebar: One of the doctors on the approval committee commented " this
makes our undergrads look like a bunch of baffons!" This was
especially interesting considering (1)he is the head of the
department (2) he wrote the syllabus for the course in
question and (3) he currently teaches the course. In spite of this
he approved her degree application!

As best I was able to determine, David was NOT in the section that
he was so describing!

Good job Toni!

3 comments:

carole said...

Congratulations Dr. Smith!!! I am very impressed and proud to know that someone in the family has succcessfully attained this degree. I considered it many years ago after finishing my master's degree and decided that it was way too much work for me!!
Good luck in your new job and enjoy New York City!! Aunt Carole

Megan said...

Congratulations Toni!

Melissa said...

Congrats Toni! I hope you treat yourself to a much-deserved vacation!